Saturday, December 02, 2006

Go Number 8 GO!

So The Master's work christmas party was last eve and they held it at a local horse race track. I admit, I was a bit skeptical at how betting on animals using even the best methods would be fun. I decided I needed to test this however. I obtained 4 dollars from him and watched the second race (for we had missed the first). I picked a horse, Stormin Baghdad. No, not on the name, on the jockey's stats. I thought about trying to figure out the horse stats, but there were so many of them and they were hard to read. Low and behold, #4, Stormin Baghdad, won the race with 4 to 1 odds. So if I HAD bet on him, my 2 dollar bet would of turned into 8 dollars, I think. I hate math...but I was hooked.

theres about 20-25 min between each race, so I went to studying horses and jockeys and let the Master take a look at the list too. I was trying to decide between Free Drinks and Swerve. He said I should bet on Free Drinks because he had a better name. So I did..to place (which means he'll get first or second). And I won...turned my 2 into 5. Number 8, Free drinks yeilded me a return to feed my addiction.

Pouring over the next race stats over salad and rabbit food, I was in a quandry. There was one who looked like a great bet, but 5-2 odds wern't a great pay off. The second one was a good contender, but better odds at 20-1. I went with the beter odds and lose. Though, the other horse didn't win that one either. 2 more losses in a row, some dinner and I was back down to a dollar and decided that was good enough entertainment for 3 dollars worth.

I went home, happy, with my race book in hand, having proved that there is no rhyme or reason to horse betting so you might as well pick the one with the name you like *grins*

2 comments:

The Maven said...

You studied stats? I would have just picked the name, too. This is why I don't bet much. I tend to lose quite a bit :P

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

i go by name OR there is a place int he program where you can see how much $$ the horse has made in the last year... if its high then they win alot..

and i LOVE going to the ponnies. i win every time.