Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Life of Weekends...

You start out life as a kid, and before school begins, every day seems like a weekend. The only difference on the weekends is perhaps that visit to grandmas or the fact that dad or mom is home and not at work. Sometimes, those weekends even fell midweek depending on mom or dad's job. All was great in the life of a preschooler.

Then, starting school, you LIVED for the weekends! Saturday morning cartoons...Bike rides with freinds...Snowball fights and in general, just relaxation. Yes, there were always chores and what not, but those were such a small part of the weekend. Summer vacation went by so fast as the longest weekend of the year and holiday weeks were always too short.

As an adult, single adult, weekends (Whenever they fell) were for socilization. Gaming, Parties, What not always fell after work. You worked to get more money to party and to get by on ramen and pay the bills you HAD too. Weekends were YOUR time and they were fun. Yeah, sometimes chaotic or things didn't go your way, but weekends were yours!

Get married and those weekends, though sometimes contain errands, are spent with that one you love the most. Going to see movies, gaming, parties, just cuddling at home...whatever. Still fun, but getting a bit more relaxed. Mostly weekends are still a good time.

Then you have kids and the weekends start all over, but now they are for them. Your weekends become secondary to their needs and the needs of things to get done. Not to say they aren't still fun at times, but they are also packed with everything NEEDING to get done. Hence the cycle of weekends shifts to the new generation.

Hence my summation of weekends...and hating why I always seem to get sick on the weekends too. I have good ones...even great ones, but I miss the carefree days of weekends past.

2 comments:

Emely Traplin said...

You've nailed weekends. I use to look forward to them, now I dread them.

I am looking forward to the teenage years when I can wake the kids up at noon by yelling into their rooms that they are lazy and need to get out of bed.

It's payback for 7 a.m saturday mornings.

lushgurl said...

As a single mom I used to look forward to the weekends that Develteen went to daddys so that I could do my 'thing', whatever that was at the time. Today I look forward to the weekends because I get to spend them WITH her!Before I got sober my child was placed in foster care, today I treasure our time together... Next thing you know their grown and on their own!