Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teaching the almost unteachable....

It's frustrating. I can't even begin to explain just how frustrating teaching children with autism can be. Even with help, it's still a very hard process. I'll try and simplify it for those of you who haven't seen it first hand.

Take the most stubborn child you know. Got em in your head? ok...now take away that child's ability to speak. Also limit their understanding of body language and social graces. Sit them down and try and teach them something and you have an example of teaching a child with autism.

Are my kids overly stubborn like that child you know? Not most of the time. The reason I use that as a base is because they have decided that I do not belong in the role of teacher. It ups the stubborn factor quite considerably.

You can't explain the steps. You can't demonstrate them, well you can to an extent, but not really. You can't get across what it is you really want them to do. So what do you do? You make a plan, try and find a reinforcer that works (ie something they like, like candy or books) and you attempt to drive it home with lots of repetition. You become flexible. You learn to think outside the box and around issues. You pound your head against a lot of walls when no one is looking.

It never ends. Once you break through, you get them to learn something, no matter how small. The next thing is there....waiting. Learn to drink from a cup? Here, use a fork too. Learn to put on your shoes, now can we tie them? I know it is like this with "normal" children too. It is just amplified with children with learning disabilities.

So that is my rant....my venting for today. I'm tired of being a teacher. I'd like, for once, it to be easy.

1 comment:

Toria/Deb said...

I've just been told by my psychiatrist at age 48 that I likely have Asperger's syndrome :P Never too old to learn new tricks or something like that eh? :P

I have a feeling that my daughter, now 9 yo. who was diagnosed with ADHD also has Asperger's, as well. Just the lack of sleep, the high functioning ability, and yet lack of applying herself. As the teacher writes on her report card "Sarah is full of wonderful ideas, I'd like to see those down on paper". Very high energy at times, bursting at the seams, babbling on and on and on, and sometimes you just have to say "put a cork in it, dear, please". Very very advanced reading for her age, and knowledge of the animal world. Not particularly taught by us either.

How do you cope with two? I tip my hat to you, my dear. Well done. I'm sure you feel like tearing out your hair, at times.